Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Supported by

[solved] Experiment always crashes

edited November 2014 in OpenSesame

Hello everybody!

For my bachelor thesis, I want to test the effect of language on our time perception. In order to conduct the study, I created an experiment with opensesame. To be honest, I have no clue about IT and I asked a friend of mine, who studies IT, to help me.

So, I spent the whole weekend trying to make an experiment with 4 little video files. I wanted to have a practice sequence with 4 different sets and a experimental sequence with 32 different experiment sets (each consisting of 2 primes, that again exist of a ladybird video and a sentence, and a purely temporal sentence after it).
All in all, my independent variables should be ladybird direction (left-to-right, right-to-left, up-to-down and down-to-up) and my dependent variable are the reaction times of my target sentences (of the purely temporal sentences).

In short, everytime I want to run my experiment, it crashes somewhere in the middle of it and I don’t know why. I am completely desperate right now because I want to conduct a study with about 60 participants, but can’t do this, if the experiment always crashes.

On this Google Drive link you will find my experiment:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0_GPufxv_YIaUE2VERYcnA3SjA/view?usp=sharing

This is the research that my study will be based on:
Boroditsky, L. Does language shape thought?: Mandarin and English speakers' conceptions of time Cognitive psychology, Elsevier, 2001, 43, 1-22

There will be modifications concerning the stimuli (I want to use moving stimuli and add left-to-right, right-to-left, up-to-down and down-to-up directions instead of a vertical/horizontal orientation).

Thanks in advance!

Jessica

P.S. the friend who helped me to set up the experiment said that he found some errors in the .py files of the media_player_vlc plugin and fixed it. That’s why the little videos are working right now, but still, it crashes. I attached the media_player_vlc plugin folder as well. Maybe this will help. https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B0_GPufxv_YIMEJla1Ryc1Z2ZHc&usp=sharing
I don’t know, I am a total amateur in this area!

Comments

  • edited 8:04PM

    Hi Jessi,

    I had a look at your experiment and I encountered the same issues you have (at least I think so). There were some issues in the media_player_vlc.py file. I could fix them to the end that the programs runs without crashing. However, since it wasn't me who wrote the file, it is quite hard to make sure not to have changed anything important, which makes your data useless in the end. So, before you run your experiment, I strongly recommend that you check that your data make sense and nothing weird happens.

    Try to exchange the old meda_player_vlc.py by this one: http://www.filedropper.com/mediaplayervlc

    It has to be put into ../Opensesame/plugins/media_player_vlc.

    I hope this helps.

    Good luck,

    Eduard

  • edited November 2014

    One more thing. I just saw that the media_vlc_player is rather outdated. There is a better video plugin available. So, you could think about using the media_player_gst video plugin in future, as was suggested here.

  • edited 8:04PM

    Hi Eduard!

    Thank you very very much! I am so happy, it works now :)

Sign In or Register to comment.