Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Supported by

[solved] missing OpenSesame plug in for PyGaze?

edited March 2016 in PyGaze

I'm trying to learn Open Sesame 3.0 so I can build a gaze-contingent eyetracking experiment. I have loaded the plugins (Pygaze, gaze-contingent, and eyetracker folders). But when I try to run the sample experiment, I get this error:

Failed to load plugin 'eyetracker_log'
ImportError: cannot import name inline_editor

I found this instruction in eyetracker_log:

from libqtopensesame import qtplugin, inline_editor

But I cannot find "inline_editor" in the "libqtopensesame" folder.
I did find a reference online to "libqtopensesame/widgets/inline_editor.py" in Open Sesame 0.27.4-2,
but that file doesn't show up in the list on the OpenSesame GitHub page. Has it been removed in OpenSesame 3.0? If so, what should I replace it with in the 'eyetracker_log' plugin?
I would be grateful for any help.

Comments

• edited 5:21AM

Hi Russel,

It seems like you're using @esdalmaijer's eyetracker plug-ins. These were a sort of transition project between the old eyelink plug-ins and the current pygaze plug-ins. They are no longer updated, and, as you've experienced, don't work with recent versions of OpenSesame. However, the pygaze plug-ins offer the same functionality in a much better way.

If you're using Windows, the pygaze plug-ins are included by default. Otherwise you'll have to install them separately. What operating system are you using?

Cheeres,
    Sebastiaan

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot

Thanks, Sebastiaan.
    You guessed right: I did use Edwin's plug-ins. I was working on a MacBook (since that's what I own) to train myself in OpenSesame, so I downloaded them from PyGaze.org. But I'm getting the university to put OS on a Windows 8 machine in our lab, where I'll do the actual experiment. So it looks like I just need to be patient.

One question though--do the new PyGaze plug-ins that are included by default with the Windows version include a gaze-contingent stimuli plug-in?

best,
    Russell

Hi Russel,

Unfortunately, they don't. However, it is not too hard to implement a gaze-contingent paradigm with some inline_scripting. What it basically boils down to, is that you repeatedly sample the current eye positions (exp.pygaze_eyetracker.sample()), check whether the position lies within a predefined region and perform an action, once it does.

Let me know, if you need more help with that. I just finished a project with a gaze-contingent design.

Hope this helped.

Eduard

Hi Eduard,
    Thanks! That's exactly the clarification I've been needing.

It's a priming experiment so the trigger I need is a saccade following fixation on a particular word in a sentence (the pre- and post-saccade words will be different in each stimulus sentence). I am thinking that that would involve 2 or 3 consecutive changes in horizontal position following a long set of samples at the same position...unless there's a simple saccade-detection routine I can use.

I'll use your tip to try to figure it out myself--then if I'm still stuck, I may take up your offer for more help.

best,
    Russell