Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Supported by

[open] randomising picture-sound allocation

edited September 2012 in OpenSesame

Dear All,

we would like to to randomise the allocation of sounds to a list of pictures. Our 2 list consists of 63 pictures and 63 sounds and we would like to keep the order of the pictures constant across subjects but have the sounds randomly selected from the list but in a way that every sound is only presented once.

Thank you very much in advance!
Christiane

Comments

• Hi Christiane,

Yes, that's certainly possible! The best way to do this is:

• by selecting the pictures from a loop item (and set the sequence to 'sequential')
    • and by selecting sounds with an inline script.

I attached an example experiment to demonstrate how this can be done, and put some more detailed explanation in the comments:

Just click on 'raw' to download the experiment, and, if necessary, change the extension to .opensesame. Also, note that the experiment assumes that there six pictures ('object1.jpg', etc.) and six sound files ('sound1.ogg', etc.) in the file pool.

In the example experiment I put all the file names in a list (see attached script). However, if you give you files systematic file names you can also generate the list automatically. Please let me know if you need any help with this.

Good luck and please feel free to post any further questions!

Lotje