Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Supported by

slow performance and crash

I am building an experiment with Open Sesame.
It feels like each time i fill in an item performance is slower.
When i try to delete unused items it even crashes and i have to shut it down. Reopening also takes a lot of time.
Experiment size is only 360kb.
Of course i have a lot of loops and sequences. But i need them. That's inevitable.

Any ideas what causes the lag?

Comments

• Could you upload the experiment? That way I can see where the lag comes from, and possibly optmize it in future releases.

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot

• I am not sure what kind of files to upload. I tried to open this file on a second pc, but there it does not open. Nevertheless, i hope you can open it. ;)

• Thanks! I'm going to see if I can pin down where the lag comes from.

I'm afraid that I cannot provide an immediate solution though, other than reducing the number of items (98 is a lot!), possibly by using variables instead of creating a new sketchpad for each display. Or by using a script.

Also, what did you do with the experiment before attaching it to this post? The encoding of the script was changed from utf-8 to something else. I could open it by manually extracting the script and changing the encoding back. But OpenSesame doesn't save it that way.

Cheers!
    Sebastiaan

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot

• edited September 2016

Well, actually 98 items is not that much for our kind of experiments (motor control).
    But i will try to put it all in a script. In the script i have more options anyway. Only that i have to learn python now ;)
    Where do i put the script? Can i write all into the general script (or at least the definitions) or do i need an inline_script?

I did not do anything special with the file. I saved it with "save as". The only option there is an open sesame file. That's it.

• I uploaded a prerelease (>= 3.1.3a4) that contains at least optimizations that should speed things up a lot in some cases, such as when emptying the unused-items bin.

cogsci.nl/smathot