Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Supported by

[solved] EyeLink plugin in "dummy mode"

edited November 2012 in OpenSesame

Greetings.
First of all, I would like to express my deep felt thanks for such an amazing project and software. It is truly a boon for science, that we have access to such a good stimulus delivery and experiment builder software!

I'm currently setting up an eye-tracking study, and was wondering if it would be possible, to include a "dummy mode" where the mouse courser, would serve as the eye-tracker input, so that it would be possible to test the experiment more fully?

Best regards,

Jákup

Comments

• edited November 2012
    Greetings. First of all, I would like to express my deep felt thanks for such an amazing project and software. It is truly a boon for science, that we have access to such a good stimulus delivery and experiment builder software!

Thank you!

I'm currently setting up an eye-tracking study, and was wondering if it would be possible, to include a "dummy mode" where the mouse courser, would serve as the eye-tracker input, so that it would be possible to test the experiment more fully?

That would be possible, but it would require a modification of the eyelink plug-in. I do not have the time to implement this right now (although I think it's in principle a good idea), but if you have some knowledge of Python you could try to implement this yourself. It will not require any extreme programming. If you look at the libeyelink.py, you will find that there is a class called libeyelink_dummy, which is essentially empty. This class is used when the EyeLink plug-in is in dummy mode, and it would be possible to change the methods (e.g., sample()) to use the mouse.

https://github.com/smathot/opensesame_eyelink_plugins/blob/master/eyelink_calibrate/libeyelink.py

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot

• edited 12:48PM

Thank you very much for the fast reply!

I do not have any more than a surface understanding of Python - just enough the read what scripts are doing and edit them. So implementing that is beyond my skills. But thanks for the recommendation. And your right, it would be a good idea, so you could test event triggers and AOIs.

Keep up the good work :)

Best regards,

Jákup

• edited 12:48PM

For future reference: I'm working on a module that will be able to do this, but I'm still testing it. I'm planning to launch it somewhere in December, though.