Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Supported by

LCD vs CRT screens for masked priming

Hi,

Usually I always use CRT screens when I run masked priming experiments.
But a collaborator of mine would like to use a LCD screen as he does not have any CRT anymore in his lab.

Would you know if this is still a problem ? (or do you know somebody who would have run the blackbox toolkit in order to see if there are real problems with recent LCD screens)

Best,

Comments

• Hello,

In general, LCD displays have a longer time lag to present visual stimuli than CRT displays.
    If you will present the stimuli in masked priming sequence especially for a very short duration, it would be a serious problem.

• Thanks, This would be for 50 ms prime durations.

As CRT monitors are getting rare and masked priming being a popular paradigm, I think that we will see more and more papers using masked priming with LCD ones which is a problem...

• rrrrrr
    edited December 2016

Some recent LCD displays specialized in PC game have very short and stable latency (less than 5ms).

If you have a blackbox toolkit, it would be possible to conduct your experiments with the high performance LCD display whose timing accuracy is checked and adjusted by the toolkit.

You can have a look at http://osdoc.cogsci.nl/3.1/manual/timing/ for reference.