Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Supported by

[solved] Non ASCII character

edited October 2011 in OpenSesame

Hello,

I'm trying to run a lexical decision task with open sesame. The problem I encounter is as follow : it seems that open sesame can't interpret non-ascii characters, i.e. characters like "é"... I tried to add a line in the beginning of the script indicating that i want to use an utf-8 encoding, but it doesn't seem to work.

I would be very grateful to have a solution regarding to this issue.

Thank you.

Comments

• edited October 2011

Hi Sylvain,

Welcome to the forum!

You can use special characters, but it's a bit awkward right now. With 0.24, you need to enter special characters in Unicode notation. For example, the string 'MathU+00F4t' will show (in sketchpads etc.) as 'Mathôt', because 'U+00F4' is the Unicode notation for 'ô'.

In some parts of the GUI this conversion happens automatically (you can, for example, use special characters when adding a string to a sketchpad), but unfortunately not everywhere. You could figure out for each word what the Unicode notation is (for example by adding the words to a sketchpad and investigating the resulting script) and go with that. Does this make sense? (also see this post.)

But perhaps I can offer you something better. One of the goals of 0.25 was to improve handling of special characters. There is a test version available, which I believe to be reasonably stable. With this version you should be able to use special characters throughout the GUI (and if you encounter problems, please let me know). But, of course, it's an unstable version, and you would be among of the first to test-drive it, so you may encounter unexpected bugs (again, let me know)!

You can download 0.25-pre6 here:
    http://files.cogsci.nl/software/opensesame/pre-releases/

Kindest regards,
    Sebastiaan

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot

• edited 8:36PM

Thank you very much Sebastiaan, i tried to use the unicode notation and it seems to work fine. :)

Best regards,

Sylvain