Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Supported by

Touch response for an IAT

I am trying to create an IAT about gender attitudes. I am not at all familiar with programming in Python and I was wondering if you could offer some tips.

Using the IAT template for windows , available here: https://osf.io/v8yaj/

I tried to create an android based IAT experiment with images but I am struggling with the response option. The experiment works with the keyboard response, but ideally, I would like to use a touch response as we will be conducting this experiment with tablets in the field. I played around with the options, but so far have failed to incorporate a touch response instead of a keyboard response (I think the inline script would require some additional lines?) Could you kindly give me some hints on what to add to the inline scripts?

Comments

• Hi Sarah,

Looking at the experiment (IAT Template - with pool - english.osexp) all the responses are handled with keyboard_response items. So that's quite convenient, because it means that you can simply replace those with touch_response items.

Next, you'd need to change how the correct response is determined, which seems to be done in the set_correct_and_color item. If, in the touch_response, you define a grid with two columns and one row, the left side of the screen will be coded as 1 (instead of the e key), and the right side as 2 (instead of the i key).

Does that get you started?

Cheers!
    Sebastiaan

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot

• Hi Sebastiaan,

I was able to make the corrections and all seems to work well. I will be taking my experiment to the field next month. Thank you very much for your help!

Sarah

• I will be taking my experiment to the field next month.

Good luck!

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot