Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Supported by

OpenSesame Crashes while executing experiment

Hello,
I am encountering a problem with OpenSesame (v 3.2). It crashes (type of crash: "Python seems to have crashed!") during my experiment. I have ruled out the option that my experiment is not properly designed. I have already read answers on this forum related to this type of problem.
In my case, I have several questions:
1. I don't think I have Python installed on my computer. If I install the lastest version of Python, would it help?
2. If the answer to 1. is no, would it help to reinstall the latest version of OpenSesame or to install an older one to see if it still crashes?
3. If I install OpenSesame on other computer and run the experiment there, is it possible to have the same type of crash? The computer that I have it installed in has less memory space.

I would appreciate a lot if you could help me,
Anda.

Comments

• Hi Anda,

This type of crash ("Python seems to have crashed") always reflects a bug somewhere in the underlying libraries of Python. It's never because of something that you did wrong in the experiment.

I don't think I have Python installed on my computer. If I install the lastest version of Python, would it help?

OpenSesame has its own Python environment, which is separate from any Python environment that you have installed on your computer. So no, this doesn't matter.

If the answer to 1. is no, would it help to reinstall the latest version of OpenSesame or to install an older one to see if it still crashes?

Re-installing the same version is unlikely to help, but upgrading to a newer version (if available) or switching to a Python 3 package (if you're using the Python 2 package) might indeed help.

If I install OpenSesame on other computer and run the experiment there, is it possible to have the same type of crash? The computer that I have it installed in has less memory space.

Oftentimes, these crashes are specific to a system, and may not occur when you run the same experiment on a different system. But it's unpredictable, so the only way to really find out is to try.

Cheers!
    Sebastiaan

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot