Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Supported by

How to set number of cycles of a loop without manually defining independent variables in loop table?

edited November 2018 in OpenSesame

Hi,
I am a very beginner to Opensesame. I have installed Opensesame 3.2.5 to create a self paced reading test.

After reading a .txt file of sentences and storing these sentences in a variable sentences_list in a inline script. I want to create a loop that shows each sentence in a sequential way. I can do that manually by defining an independent variable sentence_index in the loop table and show each sentence like this:

exp.set('current_sentence',sentences_list[exp.sentence_index])

My question is how can I do this without manually defining the independent variable in the loop table? In the inline script, I can get the total number of sentences. But I don't know how to set the number of cycles of loop to the number of sentences.

I tried to set the number of repeat and cycles in the inline sccript like this:
self.experiment.items["sentences_loop"].var.repeat = 3
self.experiment.items["sentences_loop"].var.cycles = 3

It seems to work with the number of repeat. But the number of cycles is still 1.

Thank you very much.

Comments

• My current approach is manually defining the independent variable sentence_index with the number of row much higher than the number of sentences (which changes according to the .txt file). Then, I set the 'break if' condition as [sentence_index]>[numsens]-1 where numsens is the variable containing the number of sentences defined in the inline script before:
    exp.set('numsens',len(sentences_list))

I also have another approach. Since I can set the variable repeat of the loop. I can set this variable to the number of sentences. Then I leave an empty loop table, which results in the number of cycles being 1. Then I have a loop with 1 cycles and numsens repeat. Then I will need to access some variable which indicates the current repeat index to show the corresponding sentence in the sentence list. I don't know if it works or not.

• I don't know if it works or not.

have you tested it? Why shouldn't it work?

Eudard

• Hi Eudard,
    I didn't test the second approach since the first one worked well for me. Also, that approach requires the access to the current repeat index variable which I didn't find how to do.

JamesDo