Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Supported by

How to analyse tobii data and/or add columns to the .tsv file?

Hi everybody,
I'm using tobii spectrum 600 for an eye-tracking study, the data output looks like the picture below:

As pygazeanalyser seems not having a tobiireader, I turned to eyetrackingR package in R. However, the eyetrackingR requires other columns like participant columns and trial columns. How can I solve this problem?
Or anyone has a better suggestion from me to analyze tobii data? (like getting the dwell time within an area of interest)

Comments

• Any information will be helpful, thank you, guys!

Cheers,
    GE

• edited January 14
    Hi @GEYUQING

I haven't used eyetrackingR before (tho I am planning to). But I have used other toolboxes (e.g TimeStudio, GazeAlyze), and I think it should be very similar.

My understanding is that with regards to participant info, each .tsv output will ideally correspond to a different participant, so, I would just create a separate column in each .tsv file and input the participant number there.

Regarding the trial, if you logged this information during the recording, this should appear in the column **event**.
    You should at least have a start recording message for each trial, and that would have been logged in the events column as well.

If eyetrackingR needs this info to be on a separate column then just create another column and copy the trial info from the events column.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Helio
    Thanked by 2Edwin eduard
  • Hi @heliocuve

Thank you for your suggestion, that's really helpful! I have already added the columns in R and eyetrackingR works well :smile: I will check TimeStudio and GazeAlyze.

I am new to Python and R, you are really helping me moving forward, thanks again!

Cheers,
    GE

• Glad it's working. Actually TimeSTudio and GazeAlyze are Matlab toolboxes, so although the toolboxes themselves are free and opensource, Matlab is sadly not. I think Python and R are definitely the way to go in the long run.

cheers,
    h

• hey @GEYUQING since you are also using tobii, wondering if you have had any problems with the message logs? such as the messages or data being logged in the wrong columns??

cheers,

Helio