Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Supported by

WARNING - mouse button names DO NOT WORK

Hi everybody,

For your information, do not trust the OpenSesame information related to mouse button names (left_button, right_button ...), that are supposed to be equivalent to the button numbers (1, 2, 3 ...). They don't work. At least on my PC ... Any contradictory information is welcome.

Best regards,
Gérard

Comments

• Hi Gérard,

Could you give an example of where you have tried to use these button names, and in what sense this didn't work as expected?

Cheers!
    Sebastiaan

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot

• Hi Sebastiaan,

It happens when I use the button names in the conditional statements of a sequence. They seem to be accepted, however, in the keyboard input list of buttons.

Cheers,
    Gérard

• Hi Gérard,

I see. That's normal behavior. When entering allowed and correct response, OpenSesame uses a list of synonyms for keys and mouse buttons. But when a response is given, the response variable has one single value. In the case of mouse buttons this is a number: 1 = left, 2 = middle, 3 = right.

Cheers!
    Sebastiaan

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot

• Hi Sebastiaan,

Thank you and sorry for being so assertive in the title of my post. My intention was to share some information that I thought would be useful for other users, but I realize that it was distorted by several biases: emotion (frustration), availability (limited knowledge) and undue generalization.
    OpenSesame is a great tool, but of course it takes time to discover all the underlying mysteries...

Cheers,
    Gérard