Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Supported by

Default in logging keyboard responses

edited March 4 in OpenSesame

Hey guys,

I'm new to Open Sesame and even programming experiments. Nevertheless I've tried and so far accomplished to create a differential classical conditioning paradigm with the help of this forum and the manual.

I've one problem left and seem to not find a possible solution in the forum.

After each phase (habituation, acquisition, extinction), the test persons are asked to rate the conditioned stimulus on different scales (e.g. valence, arousal, fear). I used a sketchpad to present the question with a picture of the stimulus and the keyboard_response_item for their response (scale from 1 to 5 using the key of the keyboard). In the logg file the response given is marked as NA and I don't know what to do so that the keyboard_response is logged.

I have never defined the possible keyboard responses as responses to be logged (e.g. in the variable table of the loop because that just makes all the questions repeat for 5 times). Might this be the problem? I also don't understand how to create a keyboard object as explained here: https://osdoc.cogsci.nl/3.2/manual/python/keyboard/

I hope someone could help me and explain to me what I've done wrong!

Sincerly, Esther

Comments

• > I'm new to Open Sesame and even programming experiments. Nevertheless I've tried and so far accomplished to create a differential classical conditioning paradigm with the help of this forum and the manual.

It makes me very happy to hear that! 😃

> In the logg file the response given is marked as NA and I don't know what to do so that the keyboard_response is logged.

It's difficult to say without seeing the experiment, but I suspect that between the keyboard_response and the logger, there's some other item that overwrites the response variable. That's ok though, because the response will also be stored as response_[item name]. Can you find that column in your log file?

Cheers!

Sebastiaan

• Sorry for getting back to you so late but thank you so much for always answering questions in the forum haha

I actually did find that exact column (the log file was just a mess) and the responses are logged properly. I also figured out that I need a new sketchpad for every question I ask (and not just linked copies) so that the response for each time I ask that questions is logged and not just for the last time.

Thanks for your help anyway! :)