Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Supported by

EyeLink Functionality

Hi folks,

I'm nearly ready to run a pilot experiment in OpenSesame using EyeLink with PyGaze.

I was wondering what are the limitations of PyGaze in terms of functionality that EyeLink typically offers, and should I consider using the EyeLink plugin (found here: https://www.sr-support.com/forum/how-tos/getting-started/getting-started-with-experimental-programming/53458-getting-started-with-opensesame)?

EyeLink don't seem to offer support for PyGaze.

My experiment is a basic text reading and responding paradigm and we're mostly interested in pupil-size, saccades, micro-saccades, fixations etc.

Will PyGaze cover all these basics?

Thanks as always,

Boo.

Comments

• Hi Boo,

As far as I know, the Eyelink plugins were predecessors of pygaze. Both rely on the pylink library that was released by Eyelink (I think). So, Pygaze does work quite nicely with Eyelink (my entire PhD is based on that setup ;) ).

> Will PyGaze cover all these basics?

If you just want to record eye position and pupil size during the experiment and analyze the data offline, then there won't be a problem. If you need online definitions of saccades, microsaccades, etc. things are a little trickier and you should carefully check the pygaze documentation to make sure your experiment is doing what you want it to do, but in theory Pygaze can take care of it as well.

Hope this helps,

Eudard

Thanked by 1booradley
  • Hi @eduard,

Thanks for getting back to me on this.

Sounds like PyGaze will do the trick since we're only interested in offline analysis.

Cheers,

Boo.

• Good to hear. But just to be clear, Pygaze (most likely) to the online trick. It would just take more effort to really set it up correctly.

Eduard

Thanked by 1booradley