Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Supported by

IAT help

Hello,

I am creating an IAT on OpenSesame from a template in "Example experiments" to test ethnocentrism related to national (in-group) - inmigrant (out-group).

Which variables are the ones for the intergroup bias. I need to know if participants associate "national" with "good" qicker than "inmigrant" with "good", etc. Anyone can give me any light on that?

Now that I have the different blocks and I try to test it, I am not sure if it measures in miliseconds. I made a test with a cronometer and the results varies.

Many thanks!

Fatima

Comments

• Hi Fatima,

> Which variables are the ones for the intergroup bias. I need to know if participants associate "national" with "good" qicker than "inmigrant" with "good", etc. Anyone can give me any light on that?

There is no such variable. Rather, this is a score that you can derive from variables that are in the data file.

For example, you might take the average response time on trials where the response for 'national' and 'good' is the same, and compare that to the average response time on trials where the response for 'immigrant' and 'good' are the same. If you then find that people are faster in the former case than in the latter case, this suggests that people associate 'national' with 'good'. That's the general logic behind the IAT!

> Now that I have the different blocks and I try to test it, I am not sure if it measures in miliseconds. I made a test with a cronometer and the results varies.

All the timestamps and response times are in milliseconds!

Cheers,

Sebastiaan

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot