Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Supported by

Questions about developing my experiments on Android

Hey there!

I’m currently trying to build a temporal perception experiment, which will be conducted through a smartphone (Android device). So, I have two main questions about developing my experiments on Android.

1. The temporal task that I’m building, demands fine tuning in timing differences, or else, being capable of discriminating the duration between very short tones. The range of the durations that I will use varies from 30ms to 250ms. So my first question is, if the running on the droid version is accurate as far as concerns such small temporal intervals (e.g., comparing 30ms trials vs. 70ms. trials). Will the stimuli be presented at such small durations, or I’ll have problems? Can I trust droid in terms of timing properties?
  2. I have read that a limitation of developing experiments for Android, is that the sampler item ignores panning and pitching. Thus, am I able of presenting auditory stimuli only in the left or the right earphone (by using the pan values left or right)?

Kind regards,

Vassilis

Comments

• Hi Vassilis,

> Will the stimuli be presented at such small durations, or I’ll have problems? Can I trust droid in terms of timing properties?

Whether timing will be an issue depends on how the to-be-timed durations are presented. If you're working with sound files of a specific duration, then it's fine, because sound files are exactly as long as they are (as long as the sound doesn't stutter). On the other hand, if you're working with an interval between two sounds (or other events), then there might be jitter due to onset differences. How much jitter is difficult to say without actually measuring it.

> I have read that a limitation of developing experiments for Android, is that the sampler item ignores panning and pitching. Thus, am I able of presenting auditory stimuli only in the left or the right earphone (by using the pan values left or right)?

No, panning is not possible. However, what you could do is create different sound files for left and right playback.

Note also that the Android runtime for OpenSesame is no longer under development, and does not work on recent versions of Android! So before you invest too much time in developing this, make sure that it will work with your devices!

Cheers,

Sebastiaan

Thanked by 1Vassilis

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot