Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Supported by

Mix order of blocks within each condition

edited August 15 in OpenSesame

Dear swarm intelligence,

I am quite new to the community and to OpenSesame and Python as well. Although I have a general understanding and very basic knowledge of scripting and did not struggle too hard with the beginner's, intermediate and advanced tutorials, I do have a hard time finding a trivial solution for the following issue:

First, I want to assign subjects to three different subject groups/conditions, let's say conditions "1", "2" and "3". That worked quite well so far:

if var.subject_nr % 3 == 0:
  var.subject_group = '1'
elif var.subject_nr % 3 == 1:
  var.subject_group = '2'
elif var.subject_nr % 3 == 2:
  var.subject_group = '3'

Now I want to split these groups again and mix blocks so that half of the participants of each subgroup start with block 1 (then block 2) and the other half starts with block 2 (then block 1).

The "Attentional Blink"-Tutorial implements this sort of counterbalancing for odd and even subject_parity, so that some start with the experimental condition first, and others start with the control condition.

if var.subject_parity == 'even':
    var.condition1 = 'experimental'
    var.condition2 = 'control'
else:
    var.condition1 = 'control'
    var.condition2 = 'experimental'

I'm assuming (or hoping?) that technically there is a somewhat simple way to implement a similar balancing for three subject groups / conditions, but I just cannot seem to find it yet. I hope some of you can help me out here :-)

To illustrate what I tried to explain verbally:

Comments

• Dear Mr. Fugbaum,

As far as i can see, your answered it almost by yourself. Just adapt a little the second part of your script:

if var.subject_parity == 'even':
        var.order= '1'
    if var.subject_parity == 'odd':
        var.order= '2'

Just as a suggestion. I prefer to use names that have some meaning. Same for varnames as well as for values. Eg. var.PracticeGroup = 'MP' or 'PP'; var.order = 'IMA_first' or 'EXE_first'. Makes it easier for everyone to read your data. Even for oneself if you reanalyse it two years later because of reviewer commentaries ;)