Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Supported by

Possibility to run video and if event pause run text form and then resume video

Hello :)

I'm totally discovering Opensesame, since some weeks now, in order to create an experiment. I'm trying to find a way to run 4 videos (thanks to Media player mpy) and to give possibility to participants to 'pause' whenever they want this video by pressing the space key. When they press this key, I would like a text form questionnaire sequence was shown and when they done to complete this text form questionnaire, I would like the video resume from where it pause by pressing enter key.

This is finally really similar to this request : http://www.cogsci.nl/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/292/open-help-needed-using-a-sequence-to-pause-an-experiment. I tried to use and to modify these codes in order to achieve the experiment I would like to create but despite all what I have tried, it doesn't work (I do not know how to call the media player plugin instead of the sampler module to run the video files). I am probably missing something very simple.

Do you have any help on how I can implement this ?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Hi,

I am not an expert on video playback, so maybe I am not making sense here, but I think the only* way to accomplish this is to use OpenCV: https://osdoc.cogsci.nl/3.2/manual/stimuli/video/#opencv

This is a python library that allows for plenty of video operations, but requires you to do Python coding in Opensesame (there are no plugins using this code). I suggest you first try to implement regular video feedback with OpenCV, once you have that, adding a break upon space key press, running the questionnaire and then resuming will be rather easy. Does this make sense?

Eduard

* Maybe there are hacky ways to do this with the mpy player as well, but I wouldn't know how if possible.

• Hello eduard,

First, thank you very much for taking time to answer my question !

And yes, your answer seems really make sense, I will try to use OpenCV according to you advices.

Thank you very much again,

Julie