Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Supported by

Running OpenSesame on Android

Hello,

I've been using OpenSesame on an Android tablet for many years for my PhD thesis (thanks to all of those involved with OpenSesame!). I've been running it on a (now old) samsung galaxy tab s perfectly fine, but it was beginning to get slow so I bought a new Samsung galaxy tab a. Unfortunately I did not realise OpenSesame was not compatible with newer versions of Android.

I was just wondering what is the most recent version of Android that OpenSesame is known to work on? This new tablet is running 8.1.0 and I'm hoping there's some way to downgrade it to an earlier version, but I just would like to know which version to go for.

Thanks in advance!

Charlotte

Comments

• Hi Charlotte,

> I was just wondering what is the most recent version of Android that OpenSesame is known to work on? This new tablet is running 8.1.0 and I'm hoping there's some way to downgrade it to an earlier version, but I just would like to know which version to go for.

I'm not sure. The library underlying the Android runtime (pgs4a) was no longer developed, and at some (for me arbitrary) point things stopped working. But that was so long ago that I doubt that you can downgrade any recent device back to a version that still works.

Bottom line: I would not use the Android runtime for new projects. Viable alternatives are OSWeb, which you could use to build web experiments that run on the browser phone, or Windows tablets.

Cheers!

Sebastiaan

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot