Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Supported by

[open] Error message "...ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xbb..." when saving files

edited September 2013 in OpenSesame

Hello,

I'm trying to do some experiments with Opensesame, but it seems that I'm doing something wrong.
An error message appears whenever I try to save an experiment file.
The message is:
"Failed to save file. Error: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xbb in position 12: ordinal not in range(128)"

What should I do? Since it is the first time for me to use Opensesame, I don't know much about this..

• p.s. I'm using Windows XP 32 bit Korean accout.

Thank you!

Comments

• edited 5:04PM

Hi,

This error is probably related to the presence of non-ASCII characters (i.e. Korean, I imagine) in the experiment script. (So you're not doing anything wrong.) Such issues used to be very common in OpenSesame, but a lot of work has been done to improve this. So the first thing you could try is run the latest pre-release of 0.27.4, which you can get from here:

If the error still occurs, you should see a file called opensesame.exe.log which contains a full error message. Please post this error message so I can see what goes wrong and fix it.

Cheers!
    Sebastiaan