Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Supported by

Help with designing auditory AX discrimination task?

Hi everyone!

I'm currently designing an auditory perception experiment and I've never used OpenSesame (or any experiment software) before.

Essentially, what I want to do is play pairs of sounds to participants who choose whether the sounds they hear are the same or different, and record their reaction time in each choice. I'm not sure how to go about with designing the experiment as OpenSesame is new to me, and I'm still a bit lost after the tutorials. When I'm putting in my sound files in the "new sample" section, do I have to do a new sample for every single sound file I have? If not, how do I make sure all of my sound clips are played in relation to the combinations set out in the full factorial design bit? How do I log the reaction time for each keyboard response?

Sorry if these seem like really basic questions, and apologies in advance if I ask more - this is all very new to me!

Comments

• Hi @wilde

When I'm putting in my sound files in the "new sample" section, do I have to do a new sample for every single sound file I have?

No you don't. You can use variables specified in a loop item, in which case you place a variable name surrounded by square brackets in the sampler item's source (e.g. [my_variable]).

If not, how do I make sure all of my sound clips are played in relation to the combinations set out in the full factorial design bit?

You can specify the values of this variable in a loop item, see https://osdoc.cogsci.nl/3.2/manual/structure/loop/#defining-independent-variables and https://osdoc.cogsci.nl/3.2/manual/variables/#defining-variables.

How do I log the reaction time for each keyboard response?

This is automatically done for you. If you have only a single keyboard response item in a trial (which is also followed by a logger somewhere in the same sequence!), the RT will be logged under the variable 'response_time'. If you have multiple keyboard response items, you can retrieve the RT by looking for the variable `response_time_[itemname]`, e.g. response_time_my_keyboard_response in the datafile.