OpenSesame 2.8.0 "Gutsy Gibson" released!
The next major release of OpenSesame, 2.8.0 Gutsy Gibson, is available!
OpenSesame 2.8.0 comes with considerable new functionality, but is entirely backwards compatible with the 0.27 series!
From 0.27.4 to 2.8.0: New versioning scheme
The reason for jumping from version 0.27.4 straight to 2.8.0 is to adopt a more consistent versioning scheme, called semantic versioning. In semantic versioning, increasing the MAJOR version (
X.-.-) indicates changes that break backwards compatibility, increasing the MINOR version (
-.X.-) indicates new functionality, and increasing the PATCH version (
-.-.X) indicates bug fixes.
An important new functionality is the multiprocess runner, which allows you to execute your experiment in a different process. This should be much more robust to crashes than the old in-process way. You can select the multiprocess runner, or one of the other available runners, under preferences:
Improved support for non-Latin alphabets
A lot of effort has again gone into improving support for non-Latin alphabets. A number of new default fonts have been added, and you can now use Arabic, Hebrew, Hindi, Japanese, Chinese, Farsi, and Korean straight out of the box.
You can even enable support for bi-directional languages, i.e. languages that are (partly) written from right to left, such as Hebrew:
Don't hesitate to leave feedback if you use non-Latin alphabets. For obvious reasons, it is difficult for us to ascertain whether text is rendered correctly in all languages.
Improved text-editor component
OpenSesame's text-editor component has been split off into a separate project, called QProgEdit. QProgEdit is considerably more advanced than the old text-editor component, and, among other things, supports themes. This means that I can finally use my favorite dark theme (based on Solarized) in OpenSesame!
New functionality and improvements
- Add runner functionality
- Improved exception handling
- Migrate to QProgEdit editor component
- Updated offline help pages
- Improve support for non-Latin alphabets (#211)
- Add correct-response option to touch_response plug-in (#214)
- Add style argument to canvas.fixdot()
- Add item.set_response() convenience method
- Add gamma and suppress-warnings options to psycho back-end
- Line wrapping causes double spaces (#203)
- Keywords to
decode()break compatibility with Python < 2.7 (#201)
- Fix ugly exception on Escape press in joystick plug-in (#162)
- Correctly parse non-Unix line separators in HTML parser
- Do not give ugly warning on close (#124)
- Set subject_parity in Android runtime (#221)
- Remove large template files
- Update included libraries. See
OpenSesame 2.8.0 Python 2.7.6 (default, Nov 10 2013, 19:24:18) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)] OpenCV is not available OpenCV2 2.4.7 QProgedit 1.0.0 Expyriment 0.7.0b~opensesame2 (Revision 0b10a83590c31285a5d94b3b8479f302f1abc8f3; Python 2.7.6) NumPy 1.8.0 PIL is available (version is unknown) PsychoPy 1.78.01 PyAudio 0.2.7 PyGame 1.9.1release Pyglet 1.1.4 PyOpenGL 3.0.2 PyQt 4.10.3 PySerial 2.7 python-bidi 0.3.4 python-markdown 2.3.1 SciPy 0.13.2
There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.