Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Supported by

[solved] Open Sesame Video Variable's Not Randomising.

edited March 2014 in OpenSesame

I've set my experiment up so that my videos are a variable to be randomised, however, they don't play in the experiment, when i click play, i get this error message
"Error: Runtime error
Description: Video file 'vid_file' was not found by video_player 'TheVideo' (or no video file was specified)."

have I mislabeled something that needs changing? Here is the set up of my experiment, and a list of the variable names, any help is greatly welcomed.

Comments

• edited 8:14PM

Hi Jay,

You have to indicate that vid_file is a variable, and not literally the name of the video file, by enclosing it in square brackets, like so: [vid_file].

See also:

It might also be a good idea to walk through the step-by-step tutorial, in which basic OpenSesame usage is explained:

Cheers!
    Sebastiaan

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot

thank you so very much! :)

Hi,

I have a similar problem -- I am using [ ] brackets around the variable name, but the video_player doesn't work -- the experiment seems to skip over those and go to the end. When I use actual file names, the videos work normally. Just when I try using something like [filename] that is already in the list. The debug window doesn't give me any information at all--it looks like the experiment ran normally (from their perspective!).

(Running 0.27.4 OS X)

Thanks,
    Adam

Hi Adam,

This bug has been fixed as of OpenSesame 2.9.1, but for earlier versions you could hack your way around it. Let's assume that you have a variable called my_video which specifies the video file. In that case, you can use this variable with the script below. This code should be in the prepare phase of an inline_script that precedes the video_player item.

exp.items['video_player'].video_src = self.get('my_video')

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
    Sebastiaan

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot

Works perfectly, thank you! This is a good workaround for those of us stuck on OS X and unable to use 2.9.1. :) I am still trying to get gstreamer to work somehow, as I'm think that is supposed to run better than the default video_player, right?