Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Supported by

Setting up a forced choice task

Hello,

I am in the process of setting up a two alternative forced choice task. Currently I have the variables and the inline script laid out as shown below (these are not the actual variable names in the real experiment). It works, but I was wondering if there is a neater way for me to do this? The mapping is from an earlier training phase of the experiment, where the words are actually mapped onto placeholders. Essentially participants will have to choose between the l_fruit_pair and the h_fruit_pair.

Following this, what is the best way for me to randomise the position of each pair so that they randomly alternate between the left or right side of the screen during the 2afc task?

Thanks so much! :)

Comments

• Hi,

Btw. There is no reason to make those two variable names globals. And honestly, I am not really seeing what you are doing in your code snippet, but if it does what you want, that is good!

Following this, what is the best way for me to randomise the position of each pair so that they randomly alternate between the left or right side of the screen during the 2afc task?

add an inline_script to your loop (to the beginning) in which you define x to be either -200, or plus 200 (or whichever distance it should have from the center). Store it as a parameter of var. So, for example (var.x = -200). Then in the sketchpad you can use that variable to define x.

Actually the beginner's tutorial is doing something very similar. Maybe you should have a look:
    https://osdoc.cogsci.nl/3.2/tutorials/beginner/

Good luck,

Eduard