Welcome!

Sign in with your CogSci, Facebook, Google, or Twitter account.

Or register to create a new account.

We'll use your information only for signing in to this forum.

Supported by

[solved] OpenSesame on Mac OS X / pip and pop response key

MartinaMartina Posts: 3
edited January 2014 in OpenSesame

Hi there!

I have two problems:

1.) When trying to run the "pip and pop" experiment on a MacBook Air (OS X version 10.7.3) , I get an error message saying

Error: OpenExp error
Description: Failed to call openexp._canvas.psycho.init_display()

Error: No module named psychopy

This does not occur if I start the experiment from a different entry point (for example trial_sequence); but then the program crashes immediately after lunching it. With a different experiment (e.g. face recognition), the program would also crash.

I know there have been problems with Mac OS in general. I tried to change back-end, but the drop-down menu to change it on General Properties is not available for pip and pop.

2.) I tried to run pip and pop on Windows. There it works, but I have a problem of a different nature: there seem to be no key that gets recognized as the "slash" key (so the accuracy is always 50%..) Could you please tell me what exactly you mean with slash key, so that I can check with my keyboard?

Thanks in advance for you suggestions! : )

Comments

• MartinaMartina Posts: 3
    edited 5:00AM

(* of course the second point is point 2..)

• sebastiaansebastiaan Posts: 2,737

Hi Martina,

When trying to run the "pip and pop" experiment on a MacBook Air (OS X version 10.7.3) , I get an error message saying ...

Unfortunately the psycho backend is not available on Mac OS. The pip-and-pop example requires this backend, which is why the backend selection menu is disabled. So running the pip-and-pop example on Mac OS is not possible with the current packages.

The face adaptation experiment doesn't require the psycho backend, so it could work. But, as you point out, there are problems with the Mac OS on some systems. It might be worth trying the opengl backend. If this doesn't work either, I'm afraid the only thing that I can say is that we're working on it.

I tried to run pip and pop on Windows. There it works, but I have a problem of a different nature: there seem to be no key that gets recognized as the "slash" key (so the accuracy is always 50%..) Could you please tell me what exactly you mean with slash key, so that I can check with my keyboard?

The slash key is the key with the '/' sign. The feedback should work (I just tested it), but there might be a mixup if you have a non-standard keyboard layout (do you?). In that case you could change the '/' to, say, 'm'. You can do this simply by clicking on block_loop and changing correct_response to 'm' where it says '/'.

Good luck,
    Sebastiaan

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot

• MartinaMartina Posts: 3

ok, I will just stick to Windows then, and change the "/" to another key! Thank you!