Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Supported by

[solved] Opensesame 0.27-pre1 crashes after clicking [offline help]

edited July 2012 in OpenSesame

Platform: Windows 7 x64 - Python 2.7.3

Clicking "Offline help" causes the application to crash. The console shows the following error:

QIODevice::read: maxSize argument exceeds QByteArray size limit
Qt has caught an exception thrown from an event handler. Throwing
exceptions from an event handler is not supported in Qt. You must
reimplement QApplication::notify() and catch all exceptions there.

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.

Comments

• edited 12:05AM

I see. Does this also happen when you browse the online help? What version of PyQt do you have installed? You can find out if you type 'modules()' in the debug window. I'm currently testing on 32bit Windows XP:

Python 2.7.3
    Type "help()", "copyright()", "credits()" or "license()" for more information.
    Type "modules()" for details about installed modules and version information.
    Use the "print [msg]" statement in inline_script items to print to this debug window.
    >>> modules()
    OpenSesame 0.27-pre1
    Python 2.7.3
    PyQt 4.9.4
    PyGame 1.9.1release
    PyOpenGL 3.0.1
    PsychoPy 1.74.01
    Pyglet 1.1.4

I'm not sure what this error means, but it looks like it can be captured by overriding QApplication. I suppose I'll have to do that then.

What do you think about the idea of having a webkit browser integrated? It's a bit heavy maybe, but it's very simple to implement in Qt and it's a very easy way to allow access to offline and online help using a single.

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot

I have a slightly older version of PyQt4 than you do. I'll upgrade and try again:

OpenSesame 0.27-pre1
    Python 2.7.3
    PyQt 4.9.1
    PyGame 1.9.2pre
    PyOpenGL 3.0.2a5
    PsychoPy 1.74.01
    Pyglet 1.1.4

I liked to notion of being able to browse the help files from inside Opensesame, so surely keep it in there!

Upgrading to PyQt 4.9.4 did the trick. There is no longer a hard crash after clicking Offline help. Solved!