Welcome!

Sign in with your CogSci, Facebook, Google, or Twitter account.

Or register to create a new account.

We'll use your information only for signing in to this forum.

Supported by

Potential problem when using the Eyelink with OpenSesame

JoshJosh Posts: 360
edited May 2016 in OpenSesame

Dear OpenSesame users,

It has recently come to our attention that OpenSesame may unexpectedly terminate right before the end of an experiment, when using the Eyelink eye-tracker. When this happens, you will not find your precious eye-tracker datafile (extension .EDF) on the experiment computer. However, not all is lost: the .EDF file will be on the Eyelink computer instead. It seems that something prevents the file from being transferred between computers; possibly due to incompatibility between the Eyelink plug-in Pylink and python modules included in the newer versions of OpenSesame.

Thus, this is just to warn you that things may seem to go horribly wrong (loss of data and all), but that it's not as bad as it seems. Feel free to post any related questions here.

Cheers,

Josh

Comments

• rrrrrr Posts: 78

Hi,

I've faced with a problem of data acquisition. The data file (.edf) becomes sometimes corrupt. If it can be opened with Data Viewer, there is almost no data.

The experiments are controlled by opensesame3.0.7, expyriment0.8.0, and pygaze0.6.0a10 under Mac OSX10.10.

What is the cause of this problem?

Thanks

error.jpg 116.2K
  • sebastiaansebastiaan Posts: 2,737

This could be anything. As a first step, I would see if the datafile on the EyeLink PC itself (i.e. not the copy that is transferred to the experiment PC) is also corrupt. If it is, then the problem is likely something with the EyeLink recording software. If it is not, then it's likely something in the data transfer.

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot