Welcome!

Sign in with your CogSci, Facebook, Google, or Twitter account.

Or register to create a new account.

We'll use your information only for signing in to this forum.

Supported by

ideal computer set-up

ChiaraDLChiaraDL Posts: 18
edited July 2016 in Miscellaneous

Hello everyone,
I will soon have the chance to set up a brand new lab where I will use Opensesame with Eyelink1000 (Desktop mount).
Since I will buy everything anew, I am looking for advice about the state-of-the-art features of an ideal computer (and monitor) to use for data collection (in terms of processor, graphics card, motherboard and so on...).
Thank you in advance for any suggestions or heads up! :)
Chiara

Comments

• sebastiaansebastiaan Posts: 2,737
    edited 7:25PM

Hi Chiara,

Virtually all modern desktop computers are more than capable of running experiments, so I wouldn't know to recommend one in particular. The monitor may be a bit trickier though, because some (many?) modern TFT screens have built-in image-processing software than can cause an unpredictable delay in when things are shown on the screen (this happens in the monitor, so there's nothing the experimental software can do about it), and they can also have quite long rise-and-fall times.

Maybe @Jarik has some concrete advice? This is kind of your area, right?

Cheers,
    Sebastiaan

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot

• ChiaraDLChiaraDL Posts: 18

Excellent, thank you Sebastiaan!
    I had some problems with opensesame on an old computer, so I wondered whether there would be suggestions relative to the graphics settings that would be desirable but this is good to know. So I should only worry about the monitor then!

• JarikJarik Posts: 190

Hi Chiara,

We use the Samsung 2233RZ 3D monitors in our labs. They can handle a 120Hz refresh rate (they are designed as a 3D monitors with shutter classes with 60 Hz for each eye). But I don't know if you can still buy them and you might want to choose something newer (and bigger) when setting up a new lab.

I have two monitors on my list when we ever have to start replacing the Samsungs:

• Eizo Foris FG2421 (240Hz / dims Backlight to simulate CRT)
    • Asus VG248QE

But please note I haven't bought them and thus have not tested them!

I agree with Sebastiaan that virtually all modern desktop computers will do. I just wouldn't buy the cheapest computer as you already spend a lot on the EyeLink...

I'm curious what hardware you end up with.

Best,

Jarik

Thank you Jarik!
    Concerning monitors, I also thought to go for a larger monitor but then saw that eyelink can detect eye gaze within a rather fixed window above the camera... if I am not wrong it is 32° by 25°...
    Do you know whether this is true? Or maybe I misinterpreted what is in the manual...
    Thanks again,
    Chiara

• JarikJarik Posts: 190

Hi Chiara,

I think you're right. You could just move a big monitor further away from the participant I guess.

It is probably best to contact SR Research with these questions (they also have a forum).

Best,

Jarik

Thanks, I will check it out with SR Research then!
    Cheers,
    Chiara