Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Supported by

[solved] Go/Nogo-Task

edited April 2013 in OpenSesame
Hey Sebastiaan,

I'm just about to design a go/nogo task in OpenSesame where withholding a defined keypress response for - let's say - 1500ms is the correct response to a certain stimulus configuration. Could you please tell me how to realize this?

Thanks a lot,

Florian

Comments

• edited April 2013

Hi Florian,

This is actually not that different from the normal (or slightly more common) situation where you have two possible responses.

• Insert a keyboard_response item. Set the timeout to 1500 and the allowed_responses to "space".
    • Set the correct_response variable to "space" or "timeout" depending on the trial, analogous to the tutorial [link].
      This works, because when a timeout occurs the response is set to "timeout". As though the "timeout" key was pressed, so to say.

I made a very simple demo-experiment. Hopefully this will get you started!

Kindest regards,
    Sebastiaan

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot

• edited 1:38PM

Hey Florian,

I'm in the same sitation (designing a GNAT in Open Sesame - well at least trying ;)). If you don't mind I would like to hear more about it.

Kind regards,

Carrie

Hey Sebastiaan!

It's me again.. I've got a few - maybe rather stupid - questions:

1- I managed the timeout/space response thing and the task does pretty much what it is supposed to do but: I want to present some kind of reminder at the upper border of the screen. That is: the participant has to categorize displayed items by space/doing nothing (timeout) as belonging to one of two predefined categories or not. Those categories should be displayed at the upper border. I tried it like that:

<br /> set duration "0"<br /> set description "Displays stimuli"<br /> set start_response_interval "no"<br /> draw textline -448 -416 "THING" center=1 color=white font_family=mono font_size=25 show_if="always"<br /> draw textline 448 -416 "GOOD" center=1 color=white font_family=mono font_size=25 show_if="always"<br /> draw image 0 0 "[Item].png" scale=1 center=1 show_if="[correct_response]"<br />

...but it doesn't work out. Is it actually possible? And if so, how to manage?

2- I was wondering if 30 was the maximum number of variable levels?

Thanks a lot in advance!
    Kind regards,

Carrie

Hi Carrie,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your interest in OpenSesame!

That is: the participant has to categorize displayed items by space/doing nothing (timeout) as belonging to one of two predefined categories or not. Those categories should be displayed at the upper border.

I take it that you want the following to happen: An image is presented in the center and participants have to press a key (go) if the image represents a "thing" or something "good" and not press a key (no-go) otherwise. You want to show the words "THING" and "GOOD" at the top to remind the participants of the task. Is this correct?

I think you're pretty much there. An image is shown and the reminder text is shown, but the following is not correct (or a little weird):
    (...) show_if="[correct_response]"
    You always want an image to be shown, right? So you don't need the "show_if" conditional. Secondly, conditionals should be of the form "[my_var] = value" or something similar (more info). (Your conditional isn't invalid per se, but gives weird results: All non-empty strings or non-zero values will be evaluated as True.)

But still, aside from the conditional (which is weird, but should work nonetheless), I don't see anything that should cause actual problems. Could you describe in more detail what goes wrong?

I was wondering if 30 was the maximum number of variable levels?

No, you can have arbitrarily many levels. What makes you think that there is a limit of 30, if I may ask?

Hope this helps!

Kindest regards,
    Sebastiaan

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot

Hey Sebastiaan,

Thanks for the quick answer!
    And yes, this is exactly what I want. But it doesn't work.

I fixed that weird thing (I was thinking to complicated, assuming each single item had to be called seperately, so I linked it to the [correct_response] - which is indeed a variable I made up), and everything is still working fine - of course. But it still doesn't show the two words on the upper side.

I made a screenshot running the experiment to illustrate the problem.
    Screenshot

About the 30 levels: the GUI only shows 30 rows, so I assumed I just add more via Wizard or source code, but both seemed not to work. But I'll take a closer look and let you know.

Thanks a lot, you have already helped me so much!!

Kind regards,

Carrie

Indeed, they are not shown! One thing that comes to mind is that they may fall outside of the display boundaries. The Y-coordinate for both text elements is -416 (0,0 is the center of the display). This means that the resolution will have to be at least [some width] by 832. This is larger than the default 1024x768. Could this cause the problem?

cogsci.nl/smathot

I just love how the stupid mistakes mess up your whole idea of finally getting it :D It was indeed causing the problem.

I'm working on a big screen (that's why I've chosen for this parameters) but runned the experiment in a window which was indeed 1024x768 DOH! :D

Thank you so much for all your help and this incredible quick support!!!

I'd like to add my thanks as well. It's nicely working! I'll let you know when the experiment is finished!

Kindest regards,
    Florian

• Hi Sebastiaan,

Could you please re-upload the "go-nogo.opensesame.tar.gz" to start creating the task ? Thank you!

• A Go/ No-Go task is very simple to create, as long as you know that a response timeout is coded as the response None. Why don't you give it a try yourself first? And then if you get stuck you can of course post questions here.

Cheers!
    Sebastiaan

cogsci.nl/smathot

• I am new at Opensesame, especially in the scripts. Now, I've been trying to cope with the Number-letter task and I got stuck. Then I saw the exp. accidentally, and I thought that "Aha! That's a gift from the God! :)", because I need also the task. I just want to try my chance :). Okay, I will try as soon as possible, if I achieve I will upload.Otherwise I will ask for help :)