Welcome!

Sign in with your CogSci, Facebook, Google, or Twitter account.

Or register to create a new account.

We'll use your information only for signing in to this forum.

Supported by

ValueError: stat: path too long for Windows

I am currently experiencing a very funny problem.
Unfortunately it occurs too often, so that it annoys quite much and is not so funny anymore. :(

Here the complete error:

File "C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenSesame\lib\site-packages\libqtopensesame\runners\base_runner.py", line 221, in init_experiment
        logfile=logfile)
      File "C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenSesame\lib\site-packages\libopensesame\experiment.py", line 139, in __init__
        string = self.open(string)
      File "C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenSesame\lib\site-packages\libopensesame\experiment.py", line 627, in open
        if not os.path.exists(src):
      File "C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenSesame\lib\genericpath.py", line 19, in exists
        os.stat(path)
    ValueError: stat: path too long for Windows

What's so funny about that?
When i shorten my experiment it runs. No matter where i shorten it.
Even if i just shorten variable names. Anywhere!

I have the impression that there is a limited number of words allowed for inline_scripts. [like when you insert your abstract on the journals website. And then you get the message: "Your abstract is too long. Please shorten to 250 words"]
Is that your way to make us write programming language more efficiently? Grr...

Greetz
Stephan

Comments

• sebastiaansebastiaan Posts: 2,667

Hi Stephan,

That's odd--I've never seen that error before. Could you provide some more details?

• When does this happen exactly?
    • What version of OpenSesame are you using? (And Python 2 or 3)
    • What operating system are you using?

That will give us some basis to decide whether this problem is hilarious or not.

Cheers,
    Sebastiaan

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot

• DahmSFDahmSF Posts: 92

I hope with the upload you get all of these informations. I am using Windows 7 which is provided by the university network.
    When i got this message, first thing i did, was to put the file directly in C:, which in my opinion is the shortest path possible. But it seems like the error does not have to do with that.

Then i gradually tried to find our where the error is. Until now i did not find it.
    I noticed: Any items works on its own. [I had to delete all others, the problem still occurs when they are in the unused items bin. See also my post on unused items.]
    And i noticed that when i delete some parts of the script (anywhere parts!), the rest runs fine.

• claymanclayman Posts: 1

Try using Long Path Tool, it really works for me ! I recommended it to you.