Welcome!

Sign in with your CogSci, Facebook, Google, or Twitter account.

Or register to create a new account.

We'll use your information only for signing in to this forum.

Supported by

basic button response for use on tablets

Hi all,

I'm so pleased with OpenSesame so far! I'm wondering if someone could point me in the direction of a tutorial for building a simple button response (rather than a keyboard response). My goal is to run my experiments on an Android tablet rather than a computer with keyboard, and the software keyboard is a little too clunky for the tablet.

I'm trying to design a three-option trial, and I'd like to simply represent the three options with buttons on the screen (rather than key presses). I've found this:

http://osdoc.cogsci.nl/3.1/manual/forms/widgets/button/

But I'm not sure how to collect the responses and plug them into the logger.

Thanks for your help!

Bryn

Comments

• sebastiaansebastiaan Posts: 2,811

Hi Bryn,

When adding a form button, you can specify the name of a variable (var). This variable will be set to 'yes' if the button has been clicked, and to 'no' otherwise. The logger will automatically pick up this variable. See also:

Does that help?

Cheers,
    Sebastiaan

Thanked by 1brynhughes

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot

• Thanks! I will do my best to figure this out.

Two follow-up questions:

With touch-based response, does OpenSesame simply parse the entire screen into equal-sized rows and columns? I ran the sample gaze cue experiment and it seemed that I could press anywhere on the left side of the screen to trigger the letter on the left, and vice versa. Is there any way to make it such that the participant has to press on a more-specific part of the screen? (maybe this would just be a button response?)

What's the difference between touch response and mouse response?

For the touch response, see for example this:

What's the difference between touch response and mouse response?

The mouse response only gives you coordinates and which button was pressed; the touch response parses these coordinates into a grid for you. Both work for both touches and mouse clicks. Form buttons are yet another way to collect touch responses, but they require a form.

Thanked by 1brynhughes

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot

• Hi, and how can we set the duration as touch response? I'm building an experiment with touch response as well, and can't find the way to set the duration of the screen to touch response.

@NathaciaRibeiro In recent versions of OpenSesame, the touch_response has a timeout option (which is what I suppose you mean?). So if you don't see this, just update to the latest version.

Cheers!
    Sebastiaan

Thanked by 1NathaciaRibeiro

cogsci.nl/smathot

• @sebastiaan I know the time out option. But I don't know the command to set the touch as the duration (like when we set 'mouseclick' or 'keypress'). Is that possible?

Ow right, like that. From the perspective of OpenSesame, there is no difference between a touch and a mouse click, so you can just the duration to 'mouseclick'.

Thanked by 1NathaciaRibeiro

cogsci.nl/smathot