Welcome!

Sign in with your CogSci, Facebook, Google, or Twitter account.

Or register to create a new account.

We'll use your information only for signing in to this forum.

Supported by

RIP Eye Tribe

TomArmstrongTomArmstrong Posts: 19
edited December 2016 in PyGaze

From the Eye Tribe team:

Thank you for your interest in The Eye Tribe and for your pre-order of The Eye Tribe Tracker PRO. It is customers like you that have helped us get to where we are today.

We wanted to let you know that we are ending development of this product. We deeply apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you, and will provide a refund to your original payment method. We expect you will receive the refund within 30 days.

At this stage in our journey as a company, we’ve decided to go in a different direction and will be unable to continue supporting the product. Ultimately, we think this is the best choice for our company and the developers who would have depended on us for continued support."

What a shame! At least there is still the Tobii Eye X...

Thanked by 1tsummer2

Comments

• sebastiaansebastiaan Posts: 2,812

I announced your post, because this is pretty big news. See here some thoughts by @Edwin:

And myself:

At least there is still the Tobii Eye X...

Well, you'll want to read this tweet about their restrictive license, which forbids data collection.

Thanked by 1TomArmstrong

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot

• Thanks for these links. That is unfortunate news about the Tobii Eye X!

I hope to keep using an Eye Tribe with OpenSesame. Is there anything I should be aware of? At some point, will I need to stop updating OpenSesame on the machine associated with the Eye Tribe?

Hi Tom,

In the foreseeable future, we'll just keep EyeTribe support as it is. After all, if anything this has become easier because we don't need to worry about updates. ;-) There are plenty of EyeTribe users out there.

Cheers,
    Sebastiaan

Thanked by 1TomArmstrong

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot

• In case anyone was curious, a license for using the Tobii Eye X for data collection costs $2500. What a shame.

Thanks for sharing that info. Makes me feel like:

I wonder whether this kind of license is even legal; that is, whether a license can disallow you to use your own device in a particular way. It's like selling a chair with a license that only allows Chihuahuas to sit on it.

cogsci.nl/smathot

• TomArmstrongTomArmstrong Posts: 19

LOL, I just saw this! :smiley:

• KerenKeren Posts: 7

I joined late the discussion but I struggle to find a solution how to connect E-prime (old habit) to Eye Tribe and then I discovered by accident that open sesame just do it. Is it still working and where can I get info and support about the way to do it. Any help will be appreciated !!!