Welcome!

Sign in with your CogSci, Facebook, Google, or Twitter account.

Or register to create a new account.

We'll use your information only for signing in to this forum.

Supported by

Drift correction: using alternative button instead of spacebar?

TitusTitus Posts: 5

Hello everyone,

we are using a custom built response box that has 3 buttons on it. These buttons produce number-keypresses as if it came from a keyboard: "1", "2", and "3". We are using the left and right button as answer buttons and have everything set to use "1"=no and "3"=yes.

However, we'd like to use the middle button that gives a "2" to trigger the successful drift correction in between trials.

I could not find a way to change the button that is the trigger to move on from the drift correction. Is there a way to do this or a workaround for the input "2" to be translated into a spacebar press?

Best,
Titus

Comments

• sebastiaansebastiaan Posts: 2,811

Hi Titus,

Drift correction is implemented differently for each eye tracker. So the main question is: which eye tracker are you using?

Cheers,
    Sebastiaan

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot

• TitusTitus Posts: 5

Hi Sebastiaan,

right, thanks for pointing that out. We are using the EyeLink 1000. Do you know how that would work on this model?

Best,
    Titus

• sebastiaansebastiaan Posts: 2,811

Hi Titus,

In principle, I think this is hardcoded into the EyeLink software. That is, I don't think that you can convince the EyeLink to accept anything but a space bar for drift correction. However, you can trick the EyeLink software by feeding it a space bar when, in your case, a button was pressed.

To do so, you would need to edit the function EyelinkGraphics.get_input_key(), which is located in pygaze/_eyetracker/eyelinkgraphics.py. But this does not come with a manual, and you'd be treading into dark territories!

Cheers,
    Sebastiaan

Thanked by 1Titus

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot

• TitusTitus Posts: 5

Hi Sebastiaan,
    I'll look into this, thanks!
    Best,
    Titus