Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Supported by

problems with file path

Hi,
I am almost done with designing my first experiment in opensesame (awesome program!), but I have a problem. In between my stimuli I want to show my participants a relaxing movie of some fishes with classical music in the background. My files seem to be to large to put in the file pool so I tried putting them in the experiment folder as suggested in this discussion: forum.cogsci.nl/index.php?p=/discussion/2013/moving-files-from-file-pool-to-experiment-folder
That did not seem to work. My main concern is that when I open the path of the files in the pool it does not lead back to the same folder as my experiment but a whole different folder which seems to be in my temporary files. With the following path: C:\users\310256~1\appdata\local\temp\tmppwtrz4.opensesame_pool
It seems that I cannot change the path How can I solve this and why is my _ _ pool _ _ not in the experiment folder?
thanks a lot in advance.
best wishes,
Hanne

Comments

• Hi Hanne,

Did you try adding your files to the filepool and see what the performance is? It is true that a big pool can cause trouble, but this doesn't have to affect you much. If the performance issues are too severe, we can try to fix it.

Eduard

• Hi Eduard,
    Thanks for responding. It does effect the performance of my experiment. It are two movies of approx. 123MB played six times. Since I measure physiological responses to my stimuli the timing is kind of important.
    Hanne

• Alright. Well, what you need eventually is a full path to the video file of yours, that you can put into the plugin with which you're going to play back the video. So, maybe coding it in a permanent way, would suit you? Before every time you load/play the video, you can put this in an inline_script:

if videofile == 'fish1':
         path = "\full\path\to\your\file"
    elif videofile == 'fish2':
        # load another file

Afterwards, use the variable path to load the video in the plugin. I haven't tested this and I don't work myself with videos, so whether it will work or not, I don't really know :)

Eduard

• Thank you Eduard!
    I changed the location of the experiment folder to my C:/ directory and used the path command.
    Now it is working

• Hi Spanne,
    you can also place files in folders relative to your OpenSesame experiment, if I'm correct (See this function in the documentation). So if you place your videos in a subfolder videos in the folder at which your experiment is located, you should be able to get the path to a file called fish.mp4 with pool['videos/fish.mp4' ] for instance. This should also work if you place such a reference in the media_player_mpy item (thus simply videos/fish.mp4 in the file box).