Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Supported by

attach variable to string

Hi,

sorry for asking many questions, but I'm new to Python.
So, I have an inline-script which sends triggers to the serial port, like this:
port.sendMessage("overview")
These triggers show then up in the logfile of the program that is connected via the serial port (which is an eye-tracker, but I think this doesn't matter for my question).

What I would like to do is: Instread of just "overview" (or "summary" or "draw") I would like to send "overview" and a variable, so that I know which overview (or which summary or which draw) it is. I have these variables defined in a loop and would like to attach them to the string which I send (like port.sendMessage("overview"&var.jar)) but I don't know how I can do that.

Can you give me any tips how to do this or where to look it up?

Thanks a lot!
Pia

Comments

• edited May 2017

Hi Pia,

port.sendMessage("overview " + str(var.jar)) 

Cheers

• Thanks a lot!!

• Thanks again. Now I have another, very much related, problem.
    So some of my variables have this format (in the inline-script):
    [color_of_draw[jar_nr]]
    (So the variable names are color_of_draw1, color_of_draw2, and so on.)
    I try to send those to the serial port aswell. Here is how I tried that:
    color_of_draw_var = "color_of_draw" + str(var.jar_nr) port.sendMessage("Draw Jar" + str(var.jar_nr) + "Draw Marble" + str(var.color_of_draw_var))
    So, as you see, I tried to create a variable color_of_draw_var which I then use. But it doesn't work. It sais "The variable 'color_of_draw_var' does not exist."

How can I create that variable?

• Hi Pia,

you create a variable called color_of_draw_var and in the next line you use a variable called var.color_of_draw_var. Those are not the same, you see?

Eduard

• Hi Pia, color_of_draw_var (first line of your code) is unequal to var.color_of_draw_var (second line of your code)

Cheers

• Thank you! It works (I didn't know that I didn't had to put the ´´var.´´), but I noticed it's not what I wanted.

So, if I do it like this:
    color_of_draw_var = "color_of_draw" + var.jar_nr port.sendMessage("Draw Jar" + str(var.jar_nr) + " Draw Marble " + str(color_of_draw_var))
    It prints for example (if the Jar was 2) color_of_draw2. I see that that makes sense, but I didn't want it to print color_of_draw2 as a text but the contents of my variable called color_of_draw2.

Here are my variables:

And I would like to print the contents of those (to the serial port).

Any idea how I can do that?
    Thanks!

• Replace:

color_of_draw_var = "color_of_draw" + var.jar_nr

With

color_of_draw_var = exp.get("color_of_draw" + var.jar_nr)

• Thanks a lot, it works!! :smiley: