Welcome!

Sign in with your CogSci, Facebook, Google, or Twitter account.

Or register to create a new account.

We'll use your information only for signing in to this forum.

Supported by

[open] Qnotero and Gnote

RicardoRicardo Posts: 1
edited February 2013 in Miscellaneous

I have Gnote installed on Ubuntu 12.10. I have added notes to Zotero files as suggested: Duhamel et al. (1992) Science 255...however, when I search for these in Qnotero they don't show up. I also create a series of notes in Gnote following the same format, but they don't show either.

--ricardo

Comments

• sebastiaansebastiaan Posts: 2,856
    edited 9:46PM

Hi Ricardo,

Qnotero doesn't use the Zotero note system, so that won't work. However, notes stored in Gnote should appear.

First of all, you need to have an item in Zotero that has all the proper information. This must be a Journal Article, a Book Chapter, or something along those lines—not a .pdf directly inserted into Zotero (although a .pdf may be stored as an attachment to the reference).

Next, you add a note to Gnote that has at least the first author and the year in it. This line must be bold, and may appear anywhere in the note. Like so:

Duhamel et al. (1992) Science 255

If you then search for Duhamel in Qnotero, a line should appear at the bottom that says 'Right click on item to view note'.

If you have tried this and it doesn't work, then Qnotero may look in the wrong folder. By default, /home/[user]/.local/share/gnote is used. If this folder doesn't exist, /home/[user]/.gnote is used. If this folder doesn't exist either, notes are disabled.

To get some debugging info, you can start Qnotero in a terminal and take a look at the relevant lines in the output. Qnotero should say that it is using GnoteProvider and specify a folder.

libqnotero._themes.default.__init__(): using '/usr/share/qnotero/resources/default'
    qnotero.reInit(): using GnoteProvider
    libgnote.__init__(): gnote path is /home/sebastiaan/.local/share/gnote
    libzotero.__init__(): zotero_path = /home/sebastiaan/Zotero
    libzotero.update(): indexing completed in 0.456s
    libzotero.search(): search for 'dummy' completed in 0.020s
    qnotero.updateCheck(): opening http://files.cogsci.nl/software/qnotero/MOST_RECENT_VERSION.TXT
    qnotero.updateCheck(): most recent version is 0.48

Cheers!
    Sebastiaan

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot