Welcome!

Sign in with your CogSci, Facebook, Google, or Twitter account.

Or register to create a new account.

We'll use your information only for signing in to this forum.

Supported by

Test crashing on Opensesame3.1.7/Android 5.0.2

androidtabletandroidtablet Posts: 2
edited July 23 in OpenSesame

Hi,

we had been using OpenSesame for a battery of experiments on Android tablets in our research group for almost a year successfully and very happily. After an update to the most recent version of OpenSesame our experiments stopped working. After entering subject number and logfile location, the app briefly displays the OpenSesame runtime logo and then quits with the Android error message "Unfortunately, OpenSesame runtime for Android has stopped."

We are currently trying to run our experiments on Opensesame3.1.7/Android 5.0.2.

The OpenSesame log file does not include much useful debug output:

Launching /sdcard/sync/Special.osexp
openexp.sampler._legacy.init_sound(): sampling freq = 48000, buffer size = 1024
experiment.run(): experiment started at Sun Jul 23 17:56:37 2017
experiment.run(): disabling garbage collection

Here is a link to experiment as a script.

Please let us know what you think we can do maybe make the experiments work again on the Android tablets. What (old) versions of OpenSesame/Android do you think we should be able to run them on?

Thank you!

Comments

• sebastiaansebastiaan Posts: 2,774

Hi,

There are increasingly problems with the Android runtime because the underlying library (pgs4a) is no longer maintained. So that's an unfortunate fact of life at the moment.

However, if OpenSesame worked before updating then you can simply download the 3.1.6 apk and downgrade.

Does that work? Pro-tip: Disable automatic updates during testing!

Cheers,
    Sebastiaan

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot

• Hi Sebastiaan,

Thank you for your quick response! Sorry to hear that pgs4a is no longer properly maintained, that sounds quite annoying.

Downgrading to 3.0.7 worked for us. Did not triangulate the exact last version that works for our experiment, but 3.0.7 one does the trick.

I had not seen that there's a notice about downgrading in the Andriod section of the manual. It might be good to feature that more prominently (eg. in the warning box at the top). I also added the link to the old releases on the page and created a pull request for the change.

Cheers,
    Markus

• sebastiaansebastiaan Posts: 2,774

Hi Markus,

Glad to hear this worked for you! (And yes, it's indeed annoying.)

Thanks for the pull request. I just merged and uploaded it!

Cheers,
    Sebastiaan

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot