Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Supported by

Shuffle datamatrix and update correct response

edited August 2017 in OpenSesame

In my experiment, I have a learning phase as below, where participants are asked to learn the source-target pairing. (i have 6 pairs in original exp)

var1                            var2
sourceword1             targetword1
sourceword2             targetword2
sourceword3             targetword3

In the testing phase, participants are presented with full factorial pairing and asked to pick the correct combination.

I am using data matrix to read variables from file.

1. I want to randomize the pairing per participant in the learning phase. For example, for the next participant, I want sourceword1 to be paired with targetword3(randomly). How can I do that in data matrix?
  2. Even if I shuffle the learning phase, how can i update the "correct response" for testing phase ? For example, for the first participant S1 - T1 is the correct pair, but for next participant S1-T3 is the correct pair.
    Now I am reading the full factorial test data also from a file, is it possible to set the correct response inside the code?

regards,
aswv

Comments

• Hi,

I don't fully understand what you're trying to do, but here's an idea to get you started: Instead of specifying the words directly, you specify variable names, like so:

var1                     var2
    [sourceword0]            [targetword0]
    [sourceword1]            [targetword1]
    [sourceword2]            [targetword2]

And you keep the pairing constant: [sourceword1] is always paired with [targetword1], etc. This makes it easy to determine which pairings are correct during the test phase, right? Because you can just hard-code that.

Then, to nevertheless randomize which words are paired for each participant, you randomly assign actual words to the sourceword[x] and targetword[x] variables. For example like so:

import random

source_words = ['dog', 'cat', 'bunny']
    target_words = ['tree', 'house', 'bottle']
    random.shuffle(source_words)
    random.shuffle(target_words)

for i, (source_word, target_word) in enumerate(zip(source_words, target_words)):
        var.set('sourceword%d' % i, source_word)
        var.set('targetword%d' % i, target_word)

Do you see what I mean? That should make life easier, right? And you don't need to do anything fancy with DataMatrix.

Cheers,
    Sebastiaan

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot

• Dear Sebastiaan,

In this thread i asked for a solution, which is the reason why I am using data matrix.

But maybe I can read take the values from the data matrix to a list and manipulate the results as above.