Welcome!

Sign in with your CogSci, Facebook, Google, or Twitter account.

Or register to create a new account.

We'll use your information only for signing in to this forum.

Supported by

form_text_input mouse-cursor

Hey guys,

after using a form_text_input the mouse-cursor is visible and in the middle of the screen. That could distract our participants. Does anybody know, how I can make the cursor invisible?

-Artur

Comments

• RoelofRoelof Posts: 85

Hi Artur,

I can't seem to find a solution: one line that sort seems to be handy:
    mouse().show_cursor(False)
    which hides the mouse if executed, but it seems that the mouse is called when the text display is executed, which would , I think call for some sort of a custom function, maybe @eduard knows ho this might work

• eduardeduard Posts: 977

Hi,

One solution (a little ugly though), is to put a mouse response after the form. In that mouse_response change the timeout to 0 and unselect the box for Visible mouse cursor.

Does that help?

Eduard

• DPrecDPrec Posts: 23

Hi All,

Some time ago I had a similar problem, and (with Eduard's help) we fixed it by adding the following lines at the beginning of the the inline script (on the run sequence) that produces every trial:

### Hide Mouse
        ms = mouse()
        ms.show_cursor(False)
        ms.set_visible(False)

If you only use the standard OpenSesame objects, you can simply add an inline_script containing the mentioned lines at the beginning of your trial loop.

Hope that helps!
    Daniel

Thanked by 1eduard

Brilliant!

This doesn't solve the problem of the visibility of the cursor during the text input item though, when I tried these lines they only hide the mouse before or after the text input item, but not during. Guess that is not quite essential though

Oh shit,

Yes, I haven't read the discussion properly (obviously). I'll have a look later today or tomorrow, whether it is something that can be changed.

Sorry,
    Eduard

• Hi Artur,
    I had the same problem before.
    The inline script should be placed after the form containing text_input.
    Hope that works!

Elliot

Ok,

The only way I found to fix it, is to modify the source code of Opensesame (just writing a wrapper function does not work as the mouse object is invoked quite deep inside).

So on your computer you have to find following file: libopensesame/widgits/_form.py. In this file you need to comment the lines 173 #self.mouse.show_cursor() and 198 #self.mouse.hide_cursor()

This should do the trick. However, this changes the mouse visibility for all forms. Therefore, you won't see a mouse in multiple choice items as well (which could be a little annoying). I'll have a look whether the mouse functionality in forms can be improved in future releases.

GOod luck,

Eduard

Thanked by 1Roelof

That is great Eduard, thanks for looking into it, attached a text file with the code, and full link;
    \YOUR FOLDER HERE \ opensesame_3.1.9-py2.7-win32-1\opensesame_3.1.9-py2.7-win32-1\Lib\site-packages\libopensesame\widgets