Welcome!

Sign in with your CogSci, Facebook, Google, or Twitter account.

Or register to create a new account.

We'll use your information only for signing in to this forum.

Supported by

selecting an eye tracker

Hi,

In our lab we want to buy a new eyetracker and we were hoping you guys would have some advice. The tracker will mainly be used to see whether participants hold fixation in EEG experiments and in behavioral experiments (no pupil data). We are looking for a tracker that is relatively affordable but still offers a fine spatial resolution.

All advice is appreciated!

Cheers,

Dirk

Comments

• sebastiaansebastiaan Posts: 2,737

Hi Dirk,

I've heard good things about pupil labs. Maybe you also saw them at ECVP?

Now that the EyeTribe and SMI are out of the picture, I suspect that this is the cheapest option. @Edwin?

Pupil labs is not supported in PyGaze yet, though.

Cheers!
    Sebastiaan

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot

• Hi Sebastian,

Thanks for the info. I will have a look at their website and discuss it at our lab meeting.

I am quite new to eye tracking research. If it is not supported by pygaze, are there any easy to use alternatives in Opensesame? Otherwise I prefer a different option :)

Cheers,

Dirk

• sebastiaansebastiaan Posts: 2,737

I am quite new to eye tracking research. If it is not supported by pygaze, are there any easy to use alternatives in Opensesame? Otherwise I prefer a different option :)

Well, there's also GazePoint, which is somewhat cheap, and should work in PyGaze as well. At least @Edwin committed some code for it.

Pupil labs tracker is cheaper though, so it might pay off to buy it and then pay someone to add support for it to PyGaze.

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot

• EdwinEdwin Posts: 635

EyeTribe is still supported in PyGaze (and will continue to be), but it can only be obtained through resellers, at a higher price than the original $100.

GazePoint's trackers are supported through PyGaze. See here for more information. I have a GP3, but I haven't formally tested it. From playing around with it, I got the impression that it is on par with the EyeTribe.

Pupil Labs isn't supported yet, but have expressed interest in this recently.

As for other trackers: If you're really only using it to check whether participants are fixating, then more expensive trackers are going to be overkill. However, I would highly recommend going for a more high-end brand if you're thinking about doing more involved eye tracking, especially if it involves saccadic behaviour.

BTW: Eye tracking with remote devices (e.g. EyeTribe and GP3) always works best if your participants are head-restrained, which isn't ideal for EEG. Be mindful of that when choosing your device.