Welcome!

Sign in with your CogSci, Facebook, Google, or Twitter account.

Or register to create a new account.

We'll use your information only for signing in to this forum.

Supported by

Can't stop trial sequence after randomization.

celestus87celestus87 Posts: 2
edited September 29 in OpenSesame

Hello guys,

I'm new to OpenSesame and I started developing a cognitive task for a course I'm taking in my university. I was practically done with the entire thing but I decided to add a counterbalancing mechanism inside the code to make the experiment more reliable.

I managed to add a random sequence for my "blocks" (I'm calling them "blocks" but they are in fact sequences) but the program repeats them indefinitely.

In essence, it either runs once in the exact same order I've written it (or) it runs until the end of time in a random order.

What I want the program to do is to run as many trials as I have "blocks", in random order and I want all "blocks" to be run only one time each. Right now I have 7 "blocks", so I want all 7 of them to appear only once in random order.

Does anyone have any insights? I'm attaching a screenshot so that you get an idea of what I'm talking about.

Thanks in advance,
Panos

rvrt2.jpg 186.8K

Comments

• sebastiaansebastiaan Posts: 2,846

Hi Panos,

Your inline_script seems fine. Initially, I was a bit confused, because you're showing the script of the script, so to say--but it does look correct. I think what happens is that your script first runs all your sequences in random order, and then all the sequences are run once more in the fixed order, simply because they are part of the top-level Experiment sequence. So each sequence is run twice, and not indefinitely.

If that's indeed all, then setting the run-if statements of all sequences to 'never' should get you the behavior you want. Does that clear things up?

Cheers!
    Sebastiaan

Thanked by 1celestus87

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot

• Sebastiaan, you are a rockstar! Thanks for the help! It worked out perfectly fine!

PS. Sorry for the mix-up. I was so confused that I didn't realize the follow up showcases were in order rather than randomized... x_X