Welcome!

Sign in with your CogSci, Facebook, Google, or Twitter account.

Or register to create a new account.

We'll use your information only for signing in to this forum.

Supported by

issues with accessing stimuli uploaded from file

RobinRobin Posts: 3
edited September 30 in OpenSesame

Dear all,

I'm new to OpenSesame and am currently trying to implement an experiment for my Master's thesis. It's going to be a language experiment using RSVP. A sentence is a trial and every word is presented after the other in the middle of the screen.

Here's my problem:
I'm loading the stimuli from a file in the block loop. Later on, I'm using an inline_script for the RSVP-part (following the advanced tutorial). I have issues accessing the stimuli. If I understood it correctly it should be saved in a 'dm'-variable. I tried to access it like below, but I get error messages all the time.

Any help is highly appreciated. Thanks a lot!

Best,
Robin

My code:

import random
import string 

##defining presentation time
var.word_dur = 345

##defining interstimulus rate
var.isi = 95

##defining sentence index
sentenceIndex = 0

##setting word_canvas_list
word_canvas_list = []

##saving stimulus in word_canvas_list
for word in enumerate(items.dm[sentenceIndex]):
    word_canvas = canvas()
    word_canvas.text(word)
    word_canvas_list.append(word_canvas)
    sentenceIndex += 1 

blank_canvas = canvas()

Comments

• sebastiaansebastiaan Posts: 2,764

Hi Robin,

It's simpler than you think, because OpenSesame automatically takes the variables from the DataMatrix, and sets them as experimental variables. So say that you have a column with the name word in the spreadsheet that you use as a source for the loop table, then you can refer to it as var.word. Does that make sense?

Cheers!
    Sebastiaan

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot

• RobinRobin Posts: 3

Hi Sebastiaan,

That sounds easy. I'm having whole sentences in a column. Do they behave like lists? So if I have a column 'sentence', can I index the first word with var.sentence[0]?

Thanks!

Robin

• sebastiaansebastiaan Posts: 2,764

Hi Robin,

No, a sentence specified in a loop would be a string (or strictly speaking a unicode object). To split this into separate words by spaces, you can simply use the unicode.split() method:

my_word_list = var.sentence.split()
    my_first_word = my_word_list[0]

Does that make sense?

Cheers!
    Sebastiaan

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot

• RobinRobin Posts: 3

Hi Sebastiaan,

Yes, it works now.

Thanks a lot!

Best,
    Robin