Welcome!

Sign in with your CogSci, Facebook, Google, or Twitter account.

Or register to create a new account.

We'll use your information only for signing in to this forum.

Supported by

set time limit

zsczsc Posts: 33

Dear all

For my experiment I programmed an unsolvable angram task. In this task participants are shown scrambled letters and they are asked to unscramble the letters in order to create a meaningful word. What they don't know is that the angrams are unsolvable. I want to measure how long the participants try to solve the angram until the move to the next one.

I want to set a time limit for the task so when participants try to solve the anagrams for longer than 15 minutes the task will end automatically. For this task I used a simple form_text_input. I figured I could add an inline script before the loop with simple codes in the prepare phase: exp.set('start_time', None) and in the run phase: exp.set('starttime', self.time()) and then add a statement in the break if option of the loop, e.g.: =self.time() - self.get('starttime') > 900000. The problem is that the task won't end automatically with this procedure. Only when the time is exceeded and the participant presses the enter key the task will abort.
Is there a way to end the task without the participants having to press a key?

Thanks!
Zsc

Comments

• sebastiaansebastiaan Posts: 2,856

Hi,

In OpenSesame 3.1 this is indeed not possible. However, forms have much improved in OpenSesame 3.2. Or they will improve, rather, because 3.2 is currently under development. If you're interested, you could give it a try though:

Cheers!
    Sebastiaan

Thanked by 1zsc

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot

• zsczsc Posts: 33

Dear sebastiaan,

thank you for your answer! Can I circumvent this problem by using an inline script (i.e. create a text input box using python and then add a statement in the break if option of the loop)? I have tried to do so however the same problem occurs: I have to press the key in order to abort the experiment.

Thanks,
    Zsc

• sebastiaansebastiaan Posts: 2,856

No, the break-if statement is evaluated only before a new cycle of a loop is executed. So it cannot break a trial off halfway. If you want to do this, you'll really have to use v3.2!

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot