Sign in with your CogSci, Facebook, Google, or Twitter account.

Or register to create a new account.

We'll use your information only for signing in to this forum.

Supported by

running OS on Android phone

I plan to run experiments using VR glasses (just so I can present stimuli to different eyes or to one eye)
and for that I have to use smartphone.
But I see that the Android develop stopped. The recommendation is to move to win 10,
but windows phones stopped their development as well.
Any ideas - what can I do? Can I still use Android, but avoid updating?

• RoelofRoelof Posts: 102

I do not know how development on android is developing, however, I know there are some simple measures to separate images between eyes, e.g. the mirror stereoscope (used here: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/269820348_Reinforcement_of_perceptual_inference_Reward_and_punishment_alter_conscious_visual_perception_during_binocular_rivalry/figures?lo=1)
    Another option might be:
    Liquid-crystal shutters (Crystal Eyes)

hope this helps, good luck,

Thanked by 1labovich
  • sebastiaansebastiaan Posts: 2,989

Hi Tali,

If the Android runtime for OpenSesame works on your Android device, then you're fine. (As long as you don't update Android!) So just go ahead and try. If it doesn't work, you'll notice right away.

Thanked by 1labovich

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.

• labovichlabovich Posts: 76

Thanks Roelf and Sebastian!
    So far I've been using a regular stereoscope too, but it's very limiting: it doesn't work if you have glasses, it's virtually impossible with children, it takes forever to calibrate and some adults you can't calibrate.
    I started with VR glasses and an android smartphone and it works great!
    I'm using OTG connector to connect keyboard, and over wifi I can see the same screen the participant sees. I need to start running some pilots soon and I hope it will work becasue it solves a lot of problems.

Thanked by 1Roelof