Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Supported by

[open] OpenSesame for fmri experiment, am I too risky?

edited March 2013 in OpenSesame

Hello,

because I am in favor of OpenSource software :) I decided to use OpenSesame to program an fmri experiment for my phd thesis. How many of you are out there, who would recommend that? Have you used it without problems? Timing is extremely important for this experiment because the events I am measuring are normally shorter than a TR.

I guess I'll be bothering you with questions in the future. Can't wait. :)

Thanks!

Comments

• edited 1:14PM

Hi Katerina,

OpenSesame has certainly been used for fMRI research. As with all other software, you need to test your experiment carefully, but then you should be fine.

Timing should be no issue, particularly not if you send triggers to mark the timing of events. If you rely on 'absolute timing' (i.e. you don't keep track of when things occur, but just assume that trials last, say, exactly 5s), you will need to add a short script to the start of your trial_sequence, as described here.

Cheers!

Sebastiaan

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot

I am in the same situation and quite nervous...but the idea of making all my tasks in Presentation is motivating me to try OpenSesame, which is such a pleasure to use.

Sebastiaan, when you say "...send triggers to mark the timing of events", how would I do this in OpenSesame? For analysis, I specify the onset (relative to the start of the EPI session which is 1 opensesame experiment) and duration for each stimulus event. This should be the same for all subjects of course.

Sebastiaan, when you say "...send triggers to mark the timing of events", how would I do this in OpenSesame?

You can do this with a simple inline script, as described here:

Of course, the what and when of the triggers depends on the particulars of your experiment. Does that answer your question?

Cheers,
    Sebastiaan

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot

I will try this, although the trigger in my case is sent as a '5' through USB like a keyboard which I think is a bit different. In any case, I would like to try to rely on 'absolute timing', but am having some trouble getting this implemented. But will post in a new comment.