Welcome!

Sign in with your CogSci, Facebook, Google, or Twitter account.

Or register to create a new account.

We'll use your information only for signing in to this forum.

Supported by

OpenSesame Repeatedly Crashing

EvanEvan Posts: 7

I am trying to create an experiment for a final project in OpenSesame, but can't make any progress because OpenSesame keeps crashing randomly. I have been using it for about an hour with no crashes, but now it is about every five minutes. I am not doing anything out of the ordinary, I'm just following along with the tutorial in fact, so I am not sure why these crashes are occurring.

Please help ASAP as I need to finish this project by tomorrow so I can start running subjects.

Comments

• sebastiaansebastiaan Posts: 2,856
    edited December 3

Hi Evan,

Could you provide some more details? What operating system and version of OpenSesame are you using? And what happens exactly when the program crashes? Do you get an error message, and if so what? Or does the window simply disappear?

Cheers,
    Sebastiaan

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot

• EvanEvan Posts: 7

I am running OSX El Capitan Version 10.11.6
    I am running the latest version of OpenSesame.
    When it crashes the window simply disappears, no error message. Also, OpenSesame is not saving unless I save as a new file.
    Thanks,
    Evan

I got an error message this time. I attached it to this comment.

It seems to be crashing whenever I attempt to move the order of the modules.

Hi Evan,

In that case, I would switch to a Windows system (possibly a virtual machine on your Mac, which you may be familiar with). We're aware that OpenSesame is prone to such crashes on some versions of Mac OS, and we're working to improve this.

Cheers,
    Sebastiaan

Thanked by 1Evan

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot

Thanks for the quick response. I installed a virtual machine and a windows system and it is running much better, only crashed once; however, the stimuli don't fit on the screen anymore. I tried changing the resolution in the New Experiment window, but no matter how small I made it, the words were still too wide to fit on the screen and were very pixelated, like I was zoomed in way too much. Eventually, the resolution that I inputted triggered a message saying that the resolution was too small for modules to fit.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Evan

Hi Evan,

Do you have display scaling enabled? If so, Windows will automatically scale up the experiment window. You can work around this by either reducing the experiment resolution to compensate (but that won't fix the pixelation issue), or set display scaling to 100%.

Cheers,
    Sebastiaan

cogsci.nl/smathot

Where do I find display scaling?

You'll find it in the Windows settings somewhere (not sure exactly—I don't use Windows). It's not related to OpenSesame per se, but it does affect how the window is shown.

cogsci.nl/smathot