Welcome!

Sign in with your CogSci, Facebook, Google, or Twitter account.

Or register to create a new account.

We'll use your information only for signing in to this forum.

Supported by

eye tracking with webcam?

I'm sorry if the answer is sitting right in front of me, but does PyGaze support the use of a generic USB connected camera for tracking or are only proprietary eye trackers supported?
Also, can PyGaze run on a Raspberry 3 (is it supported, not asking about performance).
Thank you guys.

Comments

• EdwinEdwin Posts: 655

The PyGaze package does not support eye tracking with a webcam. What does allow it, is a sister project: webcam eye-tracker. This is an OpenCV (or PyGame, if you’d like) implementation that should also work on Raspberry Pi, provided you write a back-end for the camera module. This should be relatively easy, as the package is written in a modular way. I.e. you’d only have to write functions to initialize the cam, and to get a frame from the camera; and the parent class will do the rest (the actual eye tracking).

See GitHub for the code: https://github.com/esdalmaijer/webcam-eyetracker

Side-note: This does eye tracking, not gaze tracking! You’d need to write a calibration routine for that.

• Thank you.
    What cameras Does Pygaze support btw?

Supported brands of eye trackers are EyeLink (SR Research), EyeTribe, GazePoint (via OpenGaze API), SensoMotoric Instruments (SMI), and Tobii (the old SDK as tobii-legacy and new Tobii Pro SDK as tobii).

• There are some nice cheap 120 and 240 fps 720p cameras out there which connect like a webcam. Maybe you should consider adding an general camera class.

• ParkPrinceParkPrince Posts: 2
    edited January 19

So is there any webcam that has this feature of eye tracking? I wish to find one with high fps at no less than 120. If anyone knows any device, could you please show me? Thanks