Welcome!

Sign in with your CogSci, Facebook, Google, or Twitter account.

Or register to create a new account.

We'll use your information only for signing in to this forum.

Supported by

How to insert a slider into a questionnaire in OpenSesame 3.1

Hi Sebastiaan,

I am trying to create a questionnaire in OpenSesame with a slider plugin. I got one from a fellow student who used a slider in OpenSesame 2.6. However, the plugin can not be loaded into OpenSesame 3.1 and I cannot find another one that does work. Do you have ideas/tips on how to insert a working slider into my questionnaire? Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

Minne

Comments

• eduardeduard Posts: 1,115

Hi Minne,

You can browse the forum a little, I remember there were several questions about sliders:

For example:
    - http://forum.cogsci.nl/index.php?p=/discussion/1579/solved-vertical-slider-rating-scale
    - http://forum.cogsci.nl/index.php?p=/discussion/1415/solved-slider-and-touch-screen/p1

Good luck,
    Eduard

• Thanks Eduard,

I tried to insert both suggested scripts into the run phase of an inline script item but I encountered some problems.
    1. The script suggested in 'Implementing a slider' allows the experiment to run but it does not show a slider. Only a mouse arrow that can move freely over the screen. Is this depending on the version of OpenSesame (3.91) or the way I adjust it (or haven't adjusted it yet, sorry I'm really a beginner with this).
    2. The script suggested in 'Vertical Slider rating scale?' does allow the program to run but then gives an error. I guess I have to change something in the script but I don't know how.

Do you have some advice? Thanks

Cheers, Minne

Hi Minne,

Can you upload your experiment? I'll have a look and try to make a basic slider for you.

Eduard

• FlorenceFlorence Posts: 6

Hello,
    I have a few questions, I'm searching for a slider plugin but the ones I have found don't work. For example this one : https://github.com/esdalmaijer/OpenSesame_slider_plugin, and the other plugin that we can install in opensesame 3.1 don't work. I tried to copy some of the old scripts but majority of them don't work properly. I am not a programmer and I can't write a script on my own.
    Can you help me ?
    Thank you in advance.

Florence

Hi Florence,

Did you get started with anything? If so, it'd be nice if you could share it (then I don't have to start from scratch). Also, please specify what kind of slider you would like to have.

Eduard

Hi Eduard,
    I would like to transform this likert scale into a horizontal slider with these numbers as landmark. Do you think it's possible ?

Thank you in advance.
    Florence

Hi Florence,

Yes that is certainly possible. Have a look at this part of the documentation and start building your form from scratch. Basically you need two textfields (title and questions), three images (I think implemented by buttons?) , 5 more text fields (for the numbers on top of that scale), the actual scale and eventually the ok button. Maybe you can also start from the this template: http://osdoc.cogsci.nl/3.1/manual/forms/widgets/rating_scale/ and add the other elements that are not yet included.

Hopes this get you started. I am quite sure you can manage to get the form you want.

Good luck (and let us know if you get stuck),

Eduard

Thank's a lot, but it's exactly what I have already done. I'm just looking for a plugin or a script to change this likert scale into a slider more intuitive...
    Could you help me to change it ?

Oh shit, sorry. Completely missed the point there. There is currently no plugin that I am aware of. The older ones probably don't really work any more with Opensesame. Can you share your code? I'm not sure but from what I remember, sliders are more easily implemented on a canvas rather than forms.

edited February 1

No problem Eduard. It's kind from you. I thank you in advance !!!

# widget 0 3 12 1 rating_scale nodes="-10;-9;-8;-7;-6;-5;-4;-3;-2;-1;0;1;2;3;4;5;6;7;8;9;10" var=rating_scale_responsevalence
    set timeout infinite
    set spacing 10
    set rows "1;1;1;2;1"
    set only_render no
    set margins "50;50;50;50"
    set description "A generic form plug-in"
    set cols "1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1"
    set _theme gray
    widget 0 0 12 1 label text="Question 1"
    widget 0 1 12 1 label text="Qu'avez vous ressenti comme émotion en regardant le film ?"
    widget 0 2 2 1 image path="smileneg.png"
    widget 10 2 2 1 image path="smilepos.png"
    widget 5 2 2 1 image path="smileneutral.png"
    widget 0 3 12 1 rating_scale nodes="-10; ; ; ; ;-5; ; ; ; ;0; ; ; ; ;5; ; ; ; ;10" var=rating_scale_responsevalence
    widget 5 4 2 1 button text=OK

Florence

• MattCMattC Posts: 3

Hi Florence,

This thread is a bit old (though I just got it going again a bit), but it might help with implementing a slider on a canvas. We've been having some trouble with the slider being laggy, and haven't figured that out yet, but you can find code here: forum.cogsci.nl/index.php?p=/discussion/40/solved-implementing-a-slider#latest
    for what it's worth, and do let us know how it turns out!

Hi Florence,

As Matt already suggested, there is an inline_script implementation of the slider. I improved the script. Is that slider good enough for you?

You can check out the code here: http://forum.cogsci.nl/index.php?p=/discussion/40/solved-implementing-a-slider#latest

I'm not sure though, what the best way is to combine this inline_script with your form. Probably, you will have to translate your form syntax into inline-script syntax (see here how to). And then execute your form in a while loop with drawing bars or something like that to indicate the slider fill.

Do you think you can manage?

Eduard