Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Supported by

The loop table contains an invalid column name

New OpenSesame user here.

I am trying to use a csv file as the source in a loop but I'm getting the error telling me that "The loop table contains an invalid column name: 'RandNumb' "

Even if I remove the first column, the error just goes to the next variable.

The file is a UTF-8 encoded csv so I have no idea why it won't load properly.

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Hi,

Could you attach the CSV file to this discussion? (Or a similar CSV file that triggers the same problem.) That way I can take a look at what might be wrong.

Cheers,
    Sebastiaan

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot

• Hello,

Here is the csv file that is triggering the problem.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qU8_eWeCK9lsYLCK9tsDHoaA8_9qfp2E

Thanks

• Ah, I see. Your csv file starts with a special unicode character (U+FEFF) called a Byte order mark (BOM). You don't see this (or you may see it as a weird character in a text editor), but it's interpreted as part of the first column name, thus leading to the error message.

The solution would be to save the CSV file without BOM (how you do this depends on your editor), or save it as an xlsx file.

Does that clear things up?

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot