Welcome!

Sign in with your CogSci, Facebook, Google, or Twitter account.

Or register to create a new account.

We'll use your information only for signing in to this forum.

Supported by

Shuffling a list in a loop once, then running it multiple times

OmerBirkaOmerBirka Posts: 2
edited January 3 in OpenSesame

Hello,

I have a loop that runs several times that should random a variable value (all values are letters, in my case). I have 18 values, and the loop runs 7 times in each sequence. Also, I don't want the same value to appear more than once. I thought I should use the "shuffle" command in the loop item and pick "sequential" under "Order", but while it does seem to shuffle the list, I guess the loop runs itself and reshuffles the list in each loop-run so I end up getting a certain letter (variable value) more than once in each sequence, occasionally.

Any idea what am I getting wrong?

Thank you,
Omer

Comments

• sebastiaansebastiaan Posts: 2,889

Hi Omer,

Hmm, it's not entirely clear to me what you want to do.

• The title of your discussion suggests that you want to determine the order of a loop once, and then run the loop in that same order multiple times. Do I understand that correctly?
    • What kind of constraints do you want to apply to the order? Right now, target_letter has 18 unique values, so I don't see how repetitions within a loop can occur, nor how you can avoid repetitions if you run the loop 7 times.

Cheers!
    Sebastiaan

There's much bigger issues in the world, I know. But I first have to take care of the world I know.
    cogsci.nl/smathot